Monday, June 3, 2019

Guest Blogger > Clayton Merritt



Hey everyone! We are now counting down the days until we depart Iowa for Washington DC! Oh, how thing have changed since the first group of students embarked on this incredible journey in 1958! One thing that hasn’t changed is the amount of fun and opportunity that this trip has presented students each year since. Being a youth tour alum, I remember the excitement and nervousness about this upcoming trip. You were selected for this trip because you all display citizenship, community involvement, academic achievement, and an interest in history and politics. These personality types mix well. I can tell you from experience that you will have no problem developing and maintaining friendship during this trip! 
 
During the summer of 2012; I was headed into my senior year of high school, working a part-time job, studying for my ACT, and oh yeah... gearing up for Youth Tour!! I had no idea the trip I was getting ready to take would change my outlook on life, form new friendships, and deepen my interests in history and politics. I remember meeting at the Magnuson Hotel the night before we flew out for orientation. I had been to orientations before (long and boring). This was unlike any orientation I had ever been to, it was a night filled with games, conversation and truly getting to know the people that we were going to be spending the next week with. Your Youth Tour Director, Shelly York, has a way about herself that will put everyone at ease. We flew out the next morning and well the rest is history. You learn about the monuments, landmarks, cemeteries, and museums in textbooks and on TV. However, you can never really appreciate the sacrifice and dedication that many historical figures made to ensure the success of future generation until you’ve seen these places in person. You will be able to connect your knowledge of cooperatives and the need to continuously advocate on their behalf. The wax museum, jogging with Senator Grassley, visiting the White House, spending a day on Capitol Hill, and paddle boating on the Potomac River are a few of my favorite memories from this trip. I could type a mile-long page about all the fun I had on Youth Tour. Now, it’s your turn!

I am excited to go back again and can’t wait to see how this trip will transform each and every one of you!! Additionally, bring your walking shoes and deodorant as there is a lot of ground to cover and lots to see! 

Clayton Merritt
Youth Tour Intern


Follow us!
Check us out on Snapchat: iowayouthtour

No comments:

Post a Comment